Monday, June 9, 2008

Lord Save us from Your Followers (ouch!)

Today I read an article from USA Today: March 2008.
Yes, I am a little behind, but we do have three little kids.

Basically, the article discussed the film, Lord Save us from Your Followers and the student discussions held at an Oregon college following a screening. What I found interesting is that the film seemed to open many doors to discussion regarding Christianity and Jesus Christ in a "secular" setting. What I found saddening, as I viewed some of the movie trailers, was how we as Christians are often viewed by those around us.

I believe the principles in God's Word are black and white with no room for straying from the truth of His teachings. At the same time, I believe it is one of our responsibilities as Christians to share the TRUTH in LOVE - being INtolerant of the sin in our society, as we are to be set apart - yet, be loving to those around us (yes, it is possible-Jesus did it and He resides in us).

I am convicted by the thought that if I were on a mission trip to a foreign land, I would not enter that society rude, belittling or haughty to the lost there, marveling at their depravity. Why do I think that same attitude is okay here (if even in my mind)?

I have the opportunity to share the love of Jesus while in line at WalMart, at the McDonalds drive thru or when I see the neighbors across the street as I take out the trash. (can you tell what I spend my time doing?) I am not saying to chase people down with the "Four Spiritual Laws" (an invaluable resource by the way), but I can and should share Christ's love through my actions.**

If I am rude, I can almost guarantee I have blown the chance to share the Gospel (except when I have to go back and apologize) and I could possibly ruin someone's day - even if I think they ruined mine first. We do not need to get on a plane to go on a mission trip. We just need to be open and willing to be used in our own backyard.

Perhaps you will get your own lesson from the trailers here.
Don't know if I'll see this movie, but I'll be checking out the book.

You can find more info here: http://www.lordsaveusthemovie.com/

** "And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus..." Colossians 3:17

No comments: