Friday, June 5, 2009

Favorite Things Friday - National Doughnut Day!


Today is National Doughnut Day!
I love donuts. But, I usually try to stay as far away from these tasty treats as possible because I tend to gain a few pounds just smelling them. But, today is an exception. We will discuss what the celebration is all about, and head out for some free donuts! (unfortunately, I will only be smelling them, but our kids will love it!)
National Doughnut Day started in 1938 as a fund raiser for the Chicago Salvation Army. Their goal was to help the needy during the Great Depression, and to honor the Salvation Army "Lassies" of World War I, who served doughnuts to soldiers behind the front lines in France. There are many other interesting facts surrounding this holiday if you look for them, you can begin here.
Many shops are offering free donuts today, some for a donation to Salvation Army and some just for showing up. Even select Krispy Kreme shops. The Dunkin Donuts in my neighborhood will give a free donut if you buy a cup of coffee. Hmmm, I think it's coffee time!

5 comments:

McCrakensx4 said...

Yummy...I think I heard about this somewhere! I will have to get me some! Happy Friday

Mrs. Davison said...

Would you pick up an extra 8 or so for me? Please?! I wish I could go with you to the doughnut shop. Jake and Brady would be thrilled to challenge the girls to a game of "who can eat the most doughnuts." At least the vomit, of eating too many, would be colorful and fragrant! JK Love you all.

Five Moms & A Blog said...

I totally snatched me a free donut today for my son while i enjoyed my iced coffee. Thanks for stopping by the 5 Moms blog today and leaving me a comment on Mom Brain...yep with three kids..that is how many I have, Mom Brain reigns supreme. Bless their sweet hearts for giving me such a gift!
Mimi

he & me + 3 said...

Kristin,

Come by my personal blog tonight and enter my hat giveaway. It would look so cute on your girls. Nothing better than free right?
Mimi

Rune said...

I love donuts too:)

Wib