Thursday, June 5, 2008

Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi aka Mahatma Gandhi

I don't know much about Gandhi. I like saying his name and I love the yellow Mahatma rice packs I get at the grocery store. Seriously though, I have loved many of his quotes and read several of his writings over the years - but didn't know that much about his life until today.

I read a little about Gandhi and his biography is fascinating. He accomplished so very much in his life (he lived to about 80). (if you like information also, check Gandhi out on Wikipedia) Although I have a tremendous amount of respect and at times am in awe of such individuals: great thinkers, seekers of truth, communicators, driven, passionate, active regarding what they believe, etc. I have a problem regarding how influential Gandhi was and still is today. As much I find him interesting and respect many of his accomplishments; Gandhi and I don't see eye to eye about what really IS important in life. The first two differences that come to mind are GOD and WHO GOD IS - to me, pretty important. But that is all for another post (I just feel good to have satisfied some of information craving for the day...)

Anyhow, what led to all of this Gandhi-thinking and sharing is this bit of information I happened upon the other day that I would also like to share:

Mahatma Gandhi, as you know, walked barefoot most of the time, which produced an impressive set of calluses on his feet. He also ate very little, which made him rather frail and, with his odd diet, he suffered from bad breath. This made him a super calloused fragile mystic hexed by halitosis.

:)

No comments: